Friday, January 14, 2005

sleepless in North Dakota

So, I haven't made any muffins quite yet, but fear not: I will probably have to cook at least a couple meals for myself this weekend. I guess having breakfast every morning kind of screws up having the opportunity to eat without needing to care if I'll have enough passes to go through the weekend. Oh well. But I guess that's good news, since I'm actually going to be using all my meal passes this week. (Mom and Dad start cheering)

Today is definitely one of those days where you can feel the insides of your nose start to freeze. Wait, let me rephrase that. The insides of your nose freeze as you step out the door, and by the time you are halfway through the quad, your legs have lost all feeling, your cheeks have started to wonder why they allowed you to move up here, and the inside of your partially frozen nose is now fully frozen solid. It's also one of those days where the gas tank is a block of ice and the antifreeze loses its ability to do anything and instead just makes a frozen mess on the windshield of your car. Thank goodness I don't have a car today. Last night, I believe the temperature was around -30. That's without windchill. Yeah. Saturday is supposed to be about -51 with windchill, so I guess I should be thankful for now.

Things are going well scholastically up here. I'm actually doing my Calculus homework, even though we're going through the material at an impossibly slow pace. I may go crazy, but at least I'll get a good grade in the class :) Chemistry'll be coming up here in about half an hour, so for now I'm just enjoying the nicely heated library.

Oh! So, it turns out that I will be tutoring this semester, and even the same two kids. Except this time... it'll be at 8 in the morning! Bah!! Good way to start out a Wednesday morning, eh? That's what I thought.

And... I'll have to get some actual research experience before I send in the application for the SURF (student undergraduate research fellowship) application, since they require 2-3 letters of recommendation from my research advisors... I only have one real experience, and that was in high school. Needless to say, it'll be an interesting couple of weeks leading up to that February 1st deadline!

It's going to be an interesting weekend, what with Martha and Amanda being away at the FOCUS conference until Monday... Maybe I'll talk April into making muffins with me :) Meanwhile, I'm going to totally get started on some of that Calculus homework. Flippin' sweet!

1 comment:

Josiah said...

I can't surf. I'm in Illinois.