Thursday, December 30, 2004

questioning where I am

So, as I sit here, two days away from the turn of another year, I wonder what I am doing with my life. Am I making good decisions? Am I hurting the people around me with what I am doing? Heck, why am I feeling bad for what I did?

All of my life, I have based what I believe I should be doing on the actions and direction of others. My parents taught me that it was important to work hard at math and school. Stay away from sex and drugs, and don't become an alcoholic, because that runs in the family already... My friends have always been the really straightlaced ones. Never even contemplating alcohol or "sin" in any way, because, well, we weren't even old enough to get into clubs. But now that we are 18, what should we feel okay doing? We're old enough to go to a dance club, but by going there, does that go against what God wants me to do? In the same thread of thought, I'll probably take the opportunity when I am 21 to drink. But there's nothing wrong with that, even in the eyes of God (well, except for what Mormons and maybe Amish people believe). If I'm legally able to dance at a night club, is it morally wrong for me to do it?

My friends are all (seemingly) okay with dancing as freely as they want at clubs. But where do my own moralities lie? If my whole existence is based on the actions of other people, then where am I? More on this later, perhaps...

2 comments:

Fritz said...

Wow.. I guess I missed some pretty free dancing... that's disapointing

Jess said...

You also missed the point of this blog, as well, Peter... good job >:(