Sunday, October 03, 2004

ode to my pre-teen voice

Well, it's really good to know that I don't have meningitis, ebola, or the black death... but that still doesn't save me from the pain of sounding like a pubescent boy. Hopefully my voice miraculously heals overnight...

Saturday was a horrible day, although we did get to do some "Girls Night In"-type things in the evening. Basically, all I did Saturday was lay in bed, waiting for the day to pass. Sore throat, congestion, fever... I had it all. Yay for being done with it. Boo on having a boy voice.

Oh, but we did get to do some quasi-marauding activities after "Girls Night In," hanging up coloring book pictures in 3rd floor Fulton's bathroom... therefore we didn't go outside at all ("yay!" = jessica's lungs and throat). We ended up watching "The Princess Bride" in Martha's room with about 16 people (talk about claustrophobia!), but I found it kind of boring... and much too much like "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" for me to recognize it as a wholly separate film. (I mean, hello? It's the same guy playing the lead character, same approximate plot: a poor guy trying to win over a beautiful princess, a brutish-but-eventually-good guy as the lead's side-kick, and for heaven's sake, both movies include the characters jumping out of windows onto horses? Shame on the movie industry.)

Tomorrow is another tutoring day at Red River High School. Shall be interesting... a senior boy committed suicide last week... it's really hard to deal with, especially since I might have even seen him walking through the hallways the past few weeks... Why does this have to happen, God? I am tutoring a senior girl in geometry, so we'll see tomorrow if she knew him. I really hope his friends are dealing with it... (geez, even that is something impossible to imagine...) and I pray for his family. God, please take care of them. They need every prayer in the world right now.

Do you remember, back when you were a kid, having dreams that you or a family member died? For some reason, I had those dreams a lot, and I always felt somehow better when it was I who had died, and not someone else. Does "immaturity" explain this? Or is it just human nature? We can deal with our own loss of life, but we can't even own up to the pain and suffering that we would potentially go through in such a reversal of the situation. Why do people refuse to realize the pain that those "left behind" have to deal with because of their own (quote) "personal decision?" There is no possible way for any person to live a purely "personal" life; there are too many ways in which we influence and grow with others every day. Take a moment to think of all the people you love, and to remember that one action you do can affect every single one of them.

And remember: Jesus loves you, and God loves you, too :)
(excerpt from traditional Hensel bedtime prayer)

3 comments:

Lucas Will said...

BOO on sickness! Yay for healing.

Suicide has always been something that really has been a horrible issue for me to even think about dealing with. I just can't imagine how hard it is for those even remotely close to whoever it is that does that... it's just awful...

Goodluck, I'll be praying for your throat, and your mind as you have to tutor in such a strange environment.

Josiah said...

I think it boils down to basic human selfishness. We know that if we're dead, it's all over for us. We don't like the idea of having to live with the pain of someone else dying though.

Maybe that's just a cynical outlook on life though.

Jess said...

Funny, I was going to use that same word to describe it... "selfish"... cynical or not, I think it hits the mark.