Thursday, December 08, 2005

reflections on religion

I've always considered myself a Christian person. Up until this last year, I prayed before bed almost every night of my life. I started helping out with Sunday School when I was a freshman in high school, helping the pre-schoolers and kindergarteners with art projects, reading books, and helping them learn more about Jesus. When I was a junior, I helped out one of the adults at our church every week with the second and third graders. The next year, I taught fifth-graders with my little sis (oh man, what a crazy bunch!!)...

So, why is it that I feel contantly driven away from faith? Every time I see people dressed in long dresses or suits with flyers, I walk the other way in fear that they're going to stare at me in disgust as I refuse their offers for salvation and God's glory.

Maybe it also has to do with the fact that the Newman Center on campus is constantly pushing their events and beliefs into the souls of students.

It just makes me sad that the more I am surrounded by religion up here, the less I appreciate God's influence in my life. God doesn't live in these organizations for me. All that FOCUS, CRU, and every other flyer-pushing organization on campus represent to me is that everyone has an agenda and that no one takes the time to learn about what YOU're all about.

I don't really need anyone to tell me how wonderful God is. All I need is to get away from this place from awhile and realize what life and spirituality is all about.

No comments: